Before you apply online we encourage you to make an informed decision about what you want to study. Please make sure to comply with the criteria (CRITERIA & DOCUMENTS), follow the PROCEDURE and send all DOCUMENTS of your application prior to deadline.
Online application is possible when holding an appropriate German Bachelor or an appropriate Bachelor from European countries (EU, EEA members). All others have to apply by sending documents - certified by the German embassy or German consulate - to the International Office. Before you apply online we encourage you to make an informed decision about what you want to study. Please be aware of our strict qualification criteria, the documents required, the deadlines and the correct route of your application.
Please register and send the required documents prior to the deadline. We will inform you about your chances shortly after closure of the application platform.
Please note that the application process for all candidates except those holding Non-European degrees is possible online only!
Application for Master Programmes for candidates with a German Bachelor degree
Application with German Bachelor
Application for candidates with a European bachelor degree (EU, EEA Members)
Application for candidates with Bachelor degrees from outside of Europe (EU, EEA)
- For the winter semester: application from May to July 15 (deadline)
- Proof of completed bachelor no later than Sept 15
- For the summer semester: from Nov. to Jan. 15 (deadline)
- Proof of completed bachelor no later than Mar 15
- Please be informed about the deadlines and criteria
- Check the required documents
- Register online to receive application number and to send in documents
- Please note that you may apply with a minimum of only 150 ECTS
Bachelor of Science in Biology or in a study programme that fulfills the criteria of the "Subject Specific Criteria Biosciences / Fachkanon Biologie”, in particular:
(i) Required skills in basic biology in the fields of Botany, Zoology and Microbiology which may have been achieved in the areas of cell biology, developmental biology, genetics, systematics, physiology, ecology, neurobiology, behavioral biology. 30 ECTS in total
(ii) Required skills in advanced biology achieved in any of the following areas cell biology, developmental biology, behavioral biology, virology, immunology, neurobiology, human genetics, microbiology, biotechnology, ecology, pharmaceutical biology, bioinformatics, biophysics, biochemistry: 45 ECTS in total
(Note: A differentiation between skills in basic and advance biology is not necessary, as long as you prove at least a sum of 75 ECTS in biology)
(iii) Required skills in chemistry (inorganic, organic, physical): 15 ECTS
(iv) Requried skills in physics, mathematics, biostatistics: 15 ECTS
(v) Proof of experimental laboratory experience preferentially by an experimental thesis comprising a minimum of 10 ECTS.
(vi) Required language skills in English
The proof of skills in the English language should be at a level not lower than:
the Test of English as a Foreign language (TOEFL) with at least 570 paper-based TOEFL test respectively 240 computer-based TOEFL test respectively 90 internet-based TOEFL test points or
bb) the International English Language Test System with a return of 6,5 or better or
cc) a Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
dd) a Bachelor degree from an Englisch Teaching University
ee) any certificate issued by the admission commitee of the Faculty of Biology from the University of Würzburg after approving of English skills based on the assessment of a Bachelor thesis written in English language, of a language course other than specified above or an interview held in English language.
(vi) Language Skills in German are highly recommended but not required for application
List of required Documents
- Certificates of a degree in a Bachelor study programme (acquisition of 180 ECTS points) at the University of Würzburg or another national or international institution or a comparable national or international degree (for example State examination). The documents should be translated into German or English
- Proof of an university or equivalent degree (in the case of a requested ultimate Master-admission) attesting the achieved overall grading (documents translated into German or English)
- Proof of previously achieved study and examination performances (Transcript of Records). The record should proof the basic and advanced skills in biology and all required skills in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Biostatistics (documents translated into German or English)
- Proof of experimental laboratory experience preferentially by an experimental thesis comprising a minimum of 10 ECTS
- Proof of skills in the English and German languages.